Cascade Server 7.4
This release introduces improvements to editing and drafting for end-users and developers as well as a whole new dashboard for monitoring your stale content and content reviews.View Requirements
- In-context Editing
- Direct Edit Blocks
- Stale Content Dashboard
- Advanced Code Editor
- Drafts of New Assets
- Fixed Buttons and Submit Dialogs
- Velocity Locator and Property Tools
- New Migration Tool
- Performance Improvements
Users can update a page's content while viewing it using our new in-context editing feature and immediately preview their changes as a draft.
In addition to simple metadata fields, the page's content fields can also be updated. Here we're updating the post date, author and post content for one of our recent blog posts:
Users with the ability to update the Site's Content Types can configure which content is editable in-context and in which regions.
Note that "Edit inline" option that was previous available in the DEFAULT region of a Page has been replaced by the new, in-context editing. In order to enable in-context editing of the DEFAULT region, edit the Content Type of the Page, navigate to the "Editable Fields" pane, find the default configuration and default region, and then enable the "Allow XHTML/Block contents to be edited in-context" checkbox. This will allow in-context editing of the DEFAULT region for all Pages using the Content Type.
Direct Edit Blocks
Along with in-context editing, it is now possible to update the content of XHTML, Data Definition, and Text Blocks directly from the page on which they are used. Blocks with no required workflows can be edited from page regions where in-context editing is enabled.
Stale Content Dashboard
The Stale Content dashboard helps users identify and take action on stale content and manage their content reviews. Users can define what content should be considered stale or up for review by using the filters in the Stale Content tab. You can filter content by the last time the content was updated or by the Review Date metadata field.
Only pages and files are considered when listing stale content. The assets listed are also subject to permissions checks; users can only view assets for which they have write permissions.
Take control of your stale content by scheduling content reviews or by notifying users of out-of-date content directly from the content reports.
The Dashboard Overview now includes a graph to give you a quick snapshot of your stale content and your content reviews.
Advanced Code Editor
7.4 also introduces a beautiful, new code editor to make the editing experience for developers faster and more enjoyable. New features include syntax highlighting for a wide variety of languages, code formatting and code folding, code completion and snippets, and a ton of keyboard shortcuts.
The new editor also handles the largest CSS files that you can throw at it.
Drafts of New Assets
Drafts of new content are saved automatically for users so you never lose your work. Users can also quickly preview their drafts by clicking on the Preview tab. The Preview tab is also available when editing existing content.
Drafts don't show up in the left-hand folder tree but you can quickly get to your drafts from the Dashboard.
Fixed Buttons and Submit Dialogs
The buttons used to submit assets, save or discard drafts or cancel editing, and the "Advanced Options" section are now fixed to the bottom of the screen and always reachable.
Additionally, users can preview their drafts and submit them directly from the view with the appropriate version comments.
Velocity Locator and Property Tools
Two new tools have been added to the Cascade Velocity scripting toolbox:
- Locator Tool - Dynamically locate assets in Cascade in the form of Cascade Server API objects
- Property Tool - Enumerate over the properties and methods exposed by a given Velocity object
New Migration Tool
We've released a new version of our standalone content migration tool. Previously, we could automate migrations from Luminis CMS and Serena Collage. The new tool is capable of migrating just about any type of site into Cascade Server.
The migration tool is an open-source project on Github.
You can also contract with our professional services department to help you with your content migration. Read more about our migration services on our website.
Performance ImprovementsThis release introduces numerous performance improvements to the overall load time of the dashboard, the view and edit screens for assets. In some cases, loading the edit screen is up to 50% faster.
- [CSI-562] - Support for Java 7
- [CSI-565] - Ace editor - New syntax-highlighting editor for Files, Templates, Blocks, Formats
- [CSI-582] - Allow automatic and manual saving drafts of new assets
- [CSI-583] - In-context editing - Edit page content from the View
- [CSI-585] - Stale content dashboard, notifications and schedule for review
- [CSI-538] - Implement multi-op delete for drafts
- [CSI-560] - Metadata Sets - Drag & drop reordering and XML configuration for field values (Customer Idea)
- [CSI-561] - Allow style tags in WYSIWYG editor
- [CSI-579] - Dashboard, View, and Edit loading performance improvement
- [CSI-581] - Position Submit and Cancel buttons absolutely so that they scroll with the page
- [CSI-586] - Update current datepicker with jQuery UI datepicker
- [CSI-587] - Allow Velocity Formats to be rendered in regions where no block is assigned
- [CSI-588] - Format editing UI should allow Velocity Formats to be rendered when no asset is selected in preview
- [CSI-405] - Submenus in new "New" menu not positioning properly after scrolling
- [CSI-483] - Image preview frame in Chrome cuts off images wider than 300px
- [CSI-544] - Deadlocking in database transport during publishing
- [CSI-551] - Wired Metadata fields can not be cleared
- [CSI-554] - Site Import - uploads happening multiple times in certain browsers and not being deleted from HD after they are imported
- [CSI-566] - Configuration Set editing - Labels for fields in Outputs are not clickable when there is more then one Output
- [CSI-567] - Auto-save draft causes page jump in Firefox when editing in non-Advanced editor mode
- [CSI-569] - Can't verify Twitter Connector to OAuth restrictions implemented by Twitter
- [CSI-570] - Subscribers tab for Symlinks goes to 404 page
- [CSI-572] - Facebook Connector can't be verified
- [CSI-578] - Drafts created by other users are searchable
- Twitter Feed Block - This feature has been deprecated in favor of moving to Twitter's Embedded Timelines. You will no longer be able to select the Twitter Feed Block option from the Block creation screen, but existing Twitter Feed Blocks will remain in the system for the time being. See Moving to Twitter Embedded Timelines for information about how you can migrate away from the Twitter Feed Block.
Cascade Web Services API
As with most major Cascade releases, the Cascade Web Services API has changed in version 7.4. It is required that all Java web services scripts be recompiled and tested using the new WSDL. Both Java and non-Java scripts should be thoroughly tested in a test environment before being deployed in production.
Cascade Plug-in API
The Cascade Plugin API has been updated in 7.4 and will require that all Asset Factory Plugins, Publish Triggers, and custom Workflow Triggers be recompiled and redeployed. Please follow the instructions in the general upgrade installaion guide for updating plugins in Cascade.
Java 7Cascade 7.4 can be run on an Oracle Java 7 JRE.
First Time Installation?
- Shut down your currently running Cascade Server instance.
- Before you upgrade, we strongly recommend that you back-up your production database. as well as set up a test instance and perform a trial run of the upgrade. All customers are entitled to a test license for this purpose.
- Read the release notes and upgrade guides for all releases between your version and the latest version.
- If your current version of Cascade is earlier than 7.0, then you must use the full installation instructions.
- If your current version of Cascade is 7.0 or later, you can perform a full installation or upgrade in place using the ROOT.war installation.
You must upgrade to at least Cascade Server 5.5 before upgrading to Cascade 6 or Cascade 7.
Contact Hannon Hill Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) if deploying Cascade Server for the first time in a load-balanced environment as this will require a special license.