Cascade Server 7.8
Cascade Server 7.8 includes Relationships for all asset types and the ability to publish related assets, a new permissions user interface, saved user history, and a host of other usability improvements.View Requirements
- Relationships and publishing of referring assets
- New Permissions User Interface
- Saved User History
- Smart Version Comments
- Exportable Stale Content Report
- Data Definition Improvements
- User Interface Improvements
Relationships and publishing of referring assets
Cascade Server 7.8 extends Relationships to more asset types including Pages, Files and Folders. This was one of the most popular ideas on our Cascade Server Idea Exchange. Relationships (formerly called Subscribers) allow users to see referring content. Navigate to a page's relationships and view all assets that refer to that page.
Pages, Files, Blocks and External Links' relationships now include assets that select the given asset in an asset chooser in their structured data in addition to assets whose HTML content linked to the given asset.
Folder relationships list variety of assets that use the folder including Index Blocks that directly index the folder and other home-area assets that are set to use the folder for their expiration folder.
Plus, users can now publish referring assets directly from the Relationships tab by selecting inidividual assets or clicking "Publish all relationships". This is really useful when you make you a change to an asset (such as moving or renaming it) and you want to quickly publish the assets that reference it.
Read more about the different types of relationships listed for each asset type.
All these relationships are also retrievable using the web services listSubscribers operation, added in Cascade Server 7.2.
New Permissions User Interface
The Access tab has been completely redesigned and improved.
You can merge user and group permissions with existing permissions when applying permission to a folder's children ("Update children" section). This was a top idea on our idea exchange.
Easily browse for users and groups using type-ahead search.
Update child permissions without changing permissions of the folder/container
Clear all the currently assigned permissions with a single mouse click
Plus, the performance of the Access tab has been dramatically improved to make it even easier to manage permissions for large numbers of users and groups.
Saved User HistoryPick up where you left off with the new Saved History feature! Items in a User's history will now be saved between logins making it easier to get back in the system and get to work. Upon login, the History menu, Quick Links menu, Full History view, and Asset Chooser dropdown suggestions list will be populated with assets recently visited by the user. Plus, the left-hand folder tree will be opened to where you left off previously similar to browsing for files and folders in OS X's Finder or Windows Explorer. This was another client requested feature from our idea exchange.
Smart Version Comments
Version comments just got a lot.. smarter. When a draft is saved, the version comments will get automatically populated with a summary of the changes. If an individual field changes, the comment will tell you both the old value and new value. As the number of changes increases, the system adapts to summarizes the changes.
Of course, you can always overwrite the version comments with your own too and we've made the version comments field more prominent.
Exportable Stale Content Report
Information viewed in the Stale Content tab can be now exported as a CSV file. The export includes information about when the report was generated, the Site for which it was generated, the user who generated it, and the type of data contained in the report. Exported stale content data can be used for historical data comparison, for sharing the report with non-Cascade Server users, or to allow third party applications to interact with that data.
Data Definition Improvements
Filtered Dropdown Fields
Data Definition dropdown fields have been improved to allow users to either enter values by typing or by selecting them from the dropdown as they would have in the past. Typing a field value will filter the drop-down list to show only fields that match the entered text. Clicking the arrow next to the text input area will show a list of all available values.
Custom Values for Dropdown Fields
Dropdown fields can now also be configured to allow custom values. This eliminates the need for an "Other" field that would normally accompany a dropdown in cases where the values in the dropdown do not suffice. Users can simply type whatever value they would like into the dropdown field.
A new type of asset chooser has been added that allows users to select any "linkable" type of asset. This includes Pages, Files, and Symlinks.
This eliminates the need to include 3 separate asset choosers when only 1 selected asset is desired.
User Interface Improvements
- Revitalized login page
- Ability to move an asset by dragging and dropping it anywhere in the Folder instead of having to hover over the Folder link
- Ability to clear selected Block or Page when editing and testing a Format
- Ability to specify time in the Workflow Due Date field through the user interface
- Image editor has improved look and feel and has more consistent UI with the Advanced Code Editor
- You can now lock the cropping aspect ratio by holding the Shift key during selection inside of the image editor. Cropping dimensions will also be displayed while selecting a crop area.
- View tabs of Blocks, Files, Formats, Templates, Data Definitions and Workflow Definitions now display syntax highlighted content in a more uniform way
- [CSI-624] - Add Relationships for assets selected in data definition choosers
- [CSI-632] - Display assets linking to External Links in these External Links' Delete and Relationships tabs
- [CSI-641] - Publish one or more subscribed assets to all available destinations from the Relationships screen
- [CSI-645] - Export stale content report as a CSV file
- [CSI-649] - Add Relationships for assets linked in HTML content
- [CSI-650] - Publish ALL subscribed assets to all destinations from the Relationships screen
- [CSI-656] - Add/remove individual permissions to Folder children without overwriting existing child permissions
- [CSI-487] - Improve performance when loading access rights
- [CSI-593] - Image Editor: add the ability to lock the cropping aspect ratio by holding the Shift key during selection
- [CSI-599] - Send report to user when rebuild of Search Index completes
- [CSI-636] - Drag and drop move: make it possible to drag items to folder's contents
- [CSI-637] - Format Editing UI - Add "Clear Selection" icons to Page and Block choosers for preview
- [CSI-638] - Select a time on Workflow due date
- [CSI-643] - Image editor: make the UI consistent with Code Editor
- [CSI-651] - Login page improvements
- [CSI-653] - Saved User History
- [CSI-655] - Improve preview pane for Blocks, Files, Formats, Templates, Data Defs, Workflow Defs
- [CSI-660] - Allow Users, Groups, Roles to be reachable via Administration menu and Quick Links in Sites
- [CSI-662] - Realign links in the system nightly and after site imports
- [CSI-664] - Add "linkable" type of asset chooser in Data Definitions
- [CSI-668] - Auto-populate Version Comments field
- [CSI-672] - Allow Data Definition dropdown fields to have custom values
- [CSI-661] - Implement SMTP Timeout for Sending Mail
- [CSI-410] - Links to an asset via a data definition asset chooser aren't shown in relationships when deleting
- [CSI-537] -
- [CSI-644] - Clicking on "Publish" tab from "Edit" tab saves a draft and navigates user to the "View" tab instead
- [CSI-646] - Navigating away after saving a draft displays a warning
- [CSI-665] -
- [CSI-667] -
- [CSI-671] - In-context editing window not scrollable
- [CSI-648] - Users who cannot bypass permissions checks in the global area cannot see stale assets
Cascade Server 7.8 includes schema changes to the cxml_foldercontent table in the database. Please allow the system to complete the upgrade process which may take a few minutes. You'll know the changes were successfully applied when you see the following in the log.
2013-11-21 11:13:06,704 INFO [liquibase] : Changeset com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_001.xml::7_8_001a::artur.tomusiak::(MD5Sum: 8cd582913bfac84a66d1dddabcbc5d44)
2013-11-21 11:13:06,761 INFO [liquibase] : Changeset com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_001.xml::7_8_001b::artur.tomusiak::(MD5Sum: 399ef1e1d238a712c1394b5fbca3a59)
2013-11-21 11:13:06,762 INFO [liquibase] : Marking ChangeSet: com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_001.xml::7_8_001b::artur.tomusiak::(MD5Sum: 399ef1e1d238a712c1394b5fbca3a59) ran due to precondition failure:
Not precondition failed 2013-11-21 11:13:06,766 INFO [liquibase] : Changeset com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_002.xml::7_8_002::mike.strauch::(MD5Sum: e284e6a0877f226cbbada9a94672fd)
2013-11-21 11:13:06,790 INFO [liquibase] : Changeset com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_002.xml::7_8_002a::mike.strauch::(MD5Sum: 3e3e8bcd2aa6d9207d9d5079bce474ff)
2013-11-21 11:13:06,894 INFO [liquibase] : Changeset com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_003.xml::7_8_003a::mike.strauch::(MD5Sum: e162ebd96ff88c35f3e6bb665349b26)
2013-11-21 11:13:06,919 INFO [liquibase] : Changeset com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_003.xml::7_8_003b::mike.strauch::(MD5Sum: d054d789d0b3a6c38b8622b1982ff96a)
2013-11-21 11:13:06,977 INFO [liquibase] : Changeset com/hannonhill/cascade/model/database/updater/updates/7_8/7_8_003.xml::7_8_003c::mike.strauch::(MD5Sum: a16ae9ca867cf99d6f9c9885d541d)
2013-11-21 11:13:07,023 INFO [liquibase] : Release Database Lock
2013-11-21 11:13:07,024 INFO [liquibase] : Successfully released change log lock
And the system is ready to be accessed when you see:
INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Nov 21, 2013 11:13:40 AM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
Nov 21, 2013 11:13:40 AM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/202 config=null
Nov 21, 2013 11:13:40 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 47029 ms
Web Services ChangesWe've added a new type to our Web Services API to support creation of the linkable asset chooser field type in Data Definitions.
First Time Installation?
- Shut down your currently running Cascade Server instance.
- Before you upgrade, we strongly recommend that you back-up your production database. as well as set up a test instance and perform a trial run of the upgrade. All customers are entitled to a test license for this purpose.
- Read the release notes and upgrade guides for all releases between your version and the latest version.
- If your current version of Cascade is earlier than 7.0, then you must use the full installation instructions.
- If your current version of Cascade is 7.0 or later, you can perform a full installation or upgrade in place using the ROOT.war installation.
Organizations upgrading to 7.8.2 or above for the first time may notice a delay during the initial startup accompanied by messages like these in the log file:
2014-01-01 11:53:25,405 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Clearing orphaned assets... 2014-01-01 11:53:25,405 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Clearing orphaned Data Definition nodes... 2014-01-01 11:54:09,508 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Deleted 7 orhpaned Data Definition nodes 2014-01-01 11:54:09,508 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Repeating the operation until there are no more orhaned nodes to delete 2014-01-01 11:54:57,350 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Deleted 14 more orhpaned Data Definition nodes 2014-01-01 12:02:30,529 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Repeating the operation until there are no more orhaned nodes to delete 2014-01-01 12:02:58,724 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Deleted 0 more orhpaned Data Definition nodes 2014-01-01 12:02:58,725 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Finished clearing 224 orphaned Data Definition node record(s) 2014-01-01 12:02:58,725 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Fixing Structured Data with missing owner entity property 2014-01-01 12:03:29,712 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Found 211 broken Structured Data nodes 2014-01-01 12:03:32,451 INFO [OptimizeDatabaseServiceImpl] Fixed a total of 9 assets with broken Structured Data nodesIt is important that the Cascade Server process not be stopped during this time. Once the orphaned Data Definition nodes have been removed, the application will start up normally.
If you are upgrading from Cascade Server 7.4.1 or later, you should rebuild search indexes after the upgrade is complete and the application is running. To do so, navigate to System Menu -> Utilities -> Search Indexing, check the Rebuild Index? checkbox and then click Submit.
You must upgrade to at least Cascade Server 5.5 before upgrading to Cascade 6 or Cascade 7.
Contact Hannon Hill Support (email@example.com) if deploying Cascade Server for the first time in a load-balanced environment as this will require a special license.