CSUC12 Video Spotlight: Beyond Facebook
Thursday, October 11th, 2012 at 10:00am -- Ali Kimm
EDITOR'S NOTE: This is the first post in a new series in which we will highlight various sessions from the Cascade Server User Conference.
Most of the sessions during the User Conference are heavily focused around uses of and best practices for Cascade Server. However, in this session, Digital Wave founder James Horigan leads a discussion solely about social media. James is a web strategist veteran, having founded Digital Wave in 1993, and he specializes in online strategies, applications and processes. With almost 20 years of experience under his belt, James has seen the dynamic change in social media from the beginning of Facebook to the gradual shift away from it.
Beyond Facebook covers several key issues concerning social media that anyone with a web presence should continually think about. James asks the session attendees various questions about this topic, such as:
- Are conventional computers becoming obsolete?
- Which networks should people pay attention to?
- How do you track your social media presence?
In this interactive session, James pulls into the conversation interesting statistics and responses from university students about social media. The session attendees also contribute great insight, questions, and share their current social media strategies from a variety of higher education and other organizations.
One of the biggest takeaways from this session is his imperative to figure out your social media strategy. He advises against putting everything into one social network, but rather emphasizes picking a few to focus on and being agile to respond to changing trends.
- Which Colleges Are the Most Social?
- Getting to the Meat and Potatoes of a Social University
- Why Agile Marketing Can No Longer Be Ignored
- Spread the Word and Vote for the 2014 Cassies!
- Speakers Announced for the 2014 Cascade Server User Conference