edUi 2012 Recap
Friday, September 28th, 2012 at 4:00pm -- Holly Wright
This week, we took our road team to the beautiful city of Richmond, Virginia to attend the edUi Conference. This conference covers a range of topics relating to user exerience design, including accessibility, responsive design, content management systems, social media, mobile, etc. Although it is one of the younger conferences in the industry, it is well on its way to becoming one of the major must-attend events for higher ed.
We had the opportunity to meet a wide variety of the attendees and talk shop with them. And here’s what we took away from the conference:
- There’s still a big fear of getting busted for being out of compliance with accessibility standards. But more importantly, higher education professionals are more and more interested in being accessible in order to provide equal access to content for everyone, which is a real positive shift in sentiment toward this issue.
- The crowd at edUi is on the more technical side than your average higher ed conference crowd. You can tell just by the amount of googling a marketer must do just to follow along with the #eduiconf Twitterstream.
- This is the conference for web pros who work for higher ed libraries. Libraries have their own special challenges within the higher ed industry and I’ve never found so many people from this particular niche at a single event.
- Richmond is a gorgeous city, kind of like a miniature Atlanta but with a whole lot of red brick and slightly less traffic. I’m definitely looking forward to my next visit up here!
- HTML5 and Responsive/Mobile design are turning a corner from being considered a luxury that only very innovative institutions can implement to being the expected norm.
All in all, this was a fabulous conference for us to attend in terms of meeting new people in the industry, attending great sessions that ratchet up the technical level a notch, and visiting a very fun and pretty city.
- It's a Wrap! Takeaways from the 2012 Cascade Server User Conference
- Responsive Web Design in Cascade Server
- Viewing Accessibility in a New Light
- Webinar Alert: What Does Moz's New SEO Study Mean for Higher Education?
- Webinar Alert: Designing for the Enterprise